Top 5 Zinc Deficiency Symptoms
Zinc is one of the essential trace minerals necessary for proper growth and development. It is needed by the body to perform several different functions and zinc deficiency symptoms can be quite serious for your health. Its presence is high in hair, nails, liver, eyes, bone, prostrate and semen. Some of the zinc benefits include maintaining healthy skin and hair, rebuilding of damaged skin, cutting risk of catching cold and flu, reducing acne, psoriasis and eczema.
Zinc deficiency symptoms occur due to a deficiency caused by the inadequate intake of the mineral or due to poor absorption of ingested zinc. In either cases, supplementation is often prescribed. Zinc dosage should be carefully monitored as zinc can be toxic in high doses.
Some of the common zinc side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and headaches. The overdose can usually occur due to supplementation. According to a cited report, severe nausea and vomiting were reported within 30 minutes of ingesting 4g of zinc gluconate supplement (570 mg of elemental zinc).
Here are the top 5 Zinc deficiency symptoms :
1. Depression – There is good evidence that mental disorders like depression and ADD can possibly be zinc deficiency symptoms. A study found that patients who are not responding to anti-depressants tend to have very low levels of zinc.
2. Impotence – A study aimed at studying sexual dysfunction in men through zinc magnesium supplementation, concluded that low levels of zinc can cause sexual impairment in middle aged men.
3. Unexplained weight loss – This is often a symptom of zinc deficiency although there is only some clinical evidence supporting direct relation of low levels of zinc to weight loss.
4. Growth retardation – In infants and children, impaired development can be one of the major zinc deficiency symptoms as zinc is needed for proper development.
5. Skin problems – Inflammatory skin conditions like acne, white spots on finger nails, eczema can be symptoms of low levels of zinc, caused due to reduced immunity and delayed healing.