You may have heard about the many turmeric health benefits, and are wondering if adding the supplement to your health routine is right for you. Turmeric has been used for over four thousand years to treat a wide array of ailments. It is also a food coloring and a popular seasoning in Indian dishes. Turmeric side effects are rare and generally mild, and may include upset stomach. Turmeric supplements are made from the root of the plant, which is boiled and dried, then processed into powder-filled capsules, tincture and fluid turmeric extract. Modern alternative medicine practitioners encourage the use of turmeric for a number of common health issues, as well as some serious, life-threatening illnesses. Should you add turmeric to your diet? Read this list of top ten turmeric health benefits before you decide:
1. Turmeric is a natural liver detoxifier.
2. Because turmeric removes plaque build-up in the brain, it might slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic – great to use for disinfecting cuts and burns.
4. Studies show that turmeric anti inflammatory properties make it a great treatment for arthritis.
5. It is a natural pain killer.
6. Turmeric speeds up wound healing and helps repair damaged skin.
7. Because turmeric aids in the metabolism of fat, it is a good weight management aid.
8. There seems to be many turmeric health benefits in relation to cancer, from reducing the risk of childhood leukemia to shrinking cancerous tumors.
9. Turmeric has been shown to slow the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
10. Traditional Chinese medicine holds turmeric as a valuable treatment for depression.
If you’re interested in spicing up your diet with turmeric, try your hand at one of the many turmeric recipes and see how you like it. You just might find that your taste buds appreciate the bold flavor of Indian food. And your body will appreciate the many turmeric health benefits on the side.