Top 10 Sore Throat Home Remedies
The discomfort of a sore throat can be from a number of reasons including a bacterial or viral infection to the throat. A scratchy, irritated throat can also be a result of laryngopharyngeal reflux. If there are white spot on tonsils and sore throat pain, this may be a result of a viral contagious infection which will respond to antibiotics. If a high fever, enlarged lymph nodes, rash, or continuous pain for several days is present, it is best to see a doctor for the appropriate medication. Untreated strep throat can lead to other serious health conditions like kidney inflammation and rheumatic fever. Bacterial infections may not necessarily need antibiotics. However, there are some sore throat home remedies which may ease the symptoms of any type of sore throat, whether antibiotics are also needed or not.
Here are ten of the top sore throat home remedies:
1. Have a cup of something warm like tea with a bit of honey or lemon.
2. Blend a half teaspoon of salt to a cup of water and gargle with this mixture several time a day.
3. While sore throat remedies include drinking warm liquids, a cold popsicle or frozen fruit bar would also be as soothing to some.
4. Throat lozenges or hard candies will increase the saliva and be very helpful for a sore throat. Since this can be a choking hazard, this remedy is best for adults only.
5. Keep moisture in the air by use of a humidifier or vaporizer. If you do not have one handy, add steam in the air by boiling a big pot of water for a few minutes.
6. Take a long, steamy shower. This will be beneficial just as a humidifier would be.
7. Over the counter medications like acetaminophen should be used for pain. Children should not be given aspirin products.
8. Analgesic spray squirted to the throat is a topical treatment to ease pain.
9. To keep you throat sufficiently lubricated, drink plenty of water, at least 8 to 10 glasses per day.
10. Get plenty of rest so your body has the full strength to fight the infection.