Top 10 Neck Pain Relief Home Remedies
Millions of people experience neck pain at some time in their lives. Neck pain causes range from simple muscle strain to life threatening conditions like meningitis and cancer of the spine. Neck pain can be caused by muscle strain, over use and poor posture. Stress can lead to tight muscles in the neck which causes pain. Myofascial release techniques gently release tension in muscles. Injuries such as whiplash, traumatic accidents, and falls often result in neck pain. Osteopathic manipulation techniques can be useful in treating pain caused by injury or nerve compression resulting from stiffened or herniated disks and bone spurs. Worn joints osteoarthritis) also cause neck pain. Diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, spondylosis, osteoporosis, and spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) cause neck pain.
Home remedies for neck pain relief
1. Ice. For the first 48-72 hours apply ice packs.
2. Heat. After a few days of using ice, switch to heat. Heating pads and warm showers provide neck pain relief.
3. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil), acetamenophen (Tylenol), and naproxen (Aleve) offer rapid neck pain relief.
4. Massage. Ask someone to gently massage the areas that hurt.
5. Correct your posture. Avoid hunching over when you are at the computer, reading or doing other projects.
6. Use a chair that encourages good posture. Keep your monitor at eye level.
7. Take breaks. Long periods of sitting are hard on the neck. Get up and walk around every now and then.
8. Sleep on a firm mattress.
9. Give up your pillow or use a cervical pillow for neck pain relief.
10. Exercise. Use gentle neck strengthening exercises to stretch tight muscles and improve range of motion.
Although heat creams feel good, there is no evidence that they actually give neck pain relief.
Caution: In case you experience severe neck stiffness that prevents your chin from touching your chest, you could have meningitis. Call 911 or get to a hospital immediately.