Top 10 Natural Remedies for High Cholesterol
If you have recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol levels in your blood, initially your doctor will recommend you take steps on how to lower cholesterol naturally usually by means of diet or foods to avoid with high cholesterol and consuming more of good cholesterol foods. You can ask your doctor if using the natural remedies for high cholesterol is right for you.
Here is a review of top 10 natural remedies for high cholesterol:
1. Niacin (vitamin B3) has been proven as one of the best natural remedies for high cholesterol, however, it should be used under strict doctor’s supervision to avoid serious side effects in some individuals like bloating, diarrhea, gastric ulcers and liver inflammation.
2. Artichoke leaf is believed to accelerate bile production and exchange which in its turn speeds up the cholesterol turnover in the body and prevents its excessive absorption in the intestines.
3. Red yeast rice extract is made by way of fermenting red yeast over rice and has been used among natural remedies for high cholesterol. Red yeast rice works by inhibiting cholesterol production. It works very similarly to prescription drugs statins and should be used only after consulting with your doctor.
4. Coenzyme Q10 is an essential element that supports cellular energy, heart health and immune system. Cholesterol lowering drugs actually deplete your body by blocking this important enzyme absorption resulting in excessive fatigue, muscle pains and, in extreme cases, heart failure. Co Q10 should be included in your cholesterol lowering therapy.
5. Organic plant-based sterol and stanol supplements in combination with other cholesterol lowering treatments are proven to be very effective in blocking cholesterol absorption by the intestines therefore decreasing your overall cholesterol blood count.
6. Exercising is one of the best natural remedies for high cholesterol. If you are overweight start out with light to moderate level activities like walking, gentle stretches, Yoga, Pilates and Tai-Chi as it might be difficult for you to start exercising at a full speed and can cause unnecessary injuries and stress for you body.
7. Check your thyroid function as oftentimes this factor is overlooked when looking for a natural treatment for high cholesterol. Underactive thyroid symptoms will inhibit proper metabolic processes making you gain weight for no apparent reason.
8. Keep you liver which responsible for lipid exchange healthy by eliminating toxic overload in your environment. Switch to natural based cleaners, cosmetics, personal care products, consume only high quality filtered water preferably from a glass container to optimize your liver function.
9. If you are wondering how to lower cholesterol naturally without using drugs, quitting smoking and limiting alcohol could be one of the best first steps to take on your road to a healthy heart.
10. Make small lifestyle modifications that involve more movement like stairs walking, parking in a distant spot, doing more household chores, gardening, dog walking. Small steps do count and will make a huge difference in your overall health and cholesterol reduction.