Top 10 Natural Ear Infection Cures
According to medical statistics, 8 out of 10 incidents of ear infections will resolve without the use of prescriptive antibiotics. However, most doctors still treat ear infection symptoms with a routine course of oral antibiotics which can lead to dangerous antibiotic resistant and recurring middle ear infections.
New medical guidelines require to observe ear infection symptoms for a couple of days and prescribe just topical remedies like ear drops for ear infections that will bring earache relief and might just be enough to clear up your ear infection.
This article will review some of the ear infection cures that you can try before you resort to more drastic measures.
1. The levels of pain associated with the middle ear infection might be very high causing severe ear pressure, headaches, fever and listlessness. The first thing you can try is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory medicine like Tylenol, Advil or Motrin. It will not only relieve pain, but will help reduce inflammation and swelling.
2. Heat applications to the affected ear are one of the best ear infection cures known to humanity. Try to warm up some table salt in a pan over low heat, place it in a cotton sock and apply to your ear for 15-20 minutes, you should feel better almost right away as the heat will help you relax, relieve spasms and inflammation.
3. At the first signs of ear infection symptoms try a hot hydrotherapy treatment by submerging you feet into a basin of hot water and adding one tablespoon of chili pepper that will stimulate healing areas in your feet and help reduce inflammation and ear infection.
4. A multitude of ear drops for ear infections can also bring earache relief as they contain a variety of ingredients like antibiotics, pain killers and anti-inflammatory substances. Some homeopathic ear drops preparations contain antiseptic chamomile not only to kill bacteria but to also relax you and help you fall asleep.
5. You can try making your own ear drops as one of the best DIY remedies for ear infections. Crush a garlic clove with a knife and place it in about an ounce of extra virgin olive oil, let rest for 10-15 minutes. Instill 2-3 drops of garlic oil in the affected ear to provide you with antibacterial and antiviral relief. Check out our other articles on a variety of home remedies for ear infections on the website.
6. Most underlying ear infections causes are at the root of your diet and certain food allergies you might have like dairy, soy, gluten or eggs. Consider seeing an allergy specialist and getting tested for these most likely culprits of food allergies.
7. Not only it’s essential to eat healthy foods as a foundation for ear infection cures but it’s important to know which foods to eat. For your immune system to be functioning correctly you need to keep acid-alkali balance within norm, otherwise it will put too much pressure on the liver and contribute to ear infections. 75% of your daily intake should come from alkali producing foods like fruits, vegetables and herbs and only 25% of grains, eggs and meats.
8. If you experience chronic ear infections and your nasal breathing is affected by adenoid overgrowth, removal of your adenoids might be recommended to help you breathe better and keep ear infections at bay.
9. Consuming freshly squeezed vegetable juices during an acute ear infection outbreak will help break up and eliminate mucus from your body. Try juicing a carrot with one celery stalk, a handful of parsley leaves, half of one small beet and a piece of ginger root for a healthful and delicious cocktail delivering ear infection cures to you and your family.
10. In extreme cases of persistent ear infections that do not respond well to any ear infection cures including oral antibiotic therapy, a child is advised to undergo a tube placement or myringotomy that enables extra fluid in the middle ear to freely flow out minimizing risk of recurring ear infections.