Top 10 Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms
You hear a lot about how much your body needs vitamins such as C and D, but perhaps a lot less about how important minerals, such as magnesium, are to the proper functioning of just about every organ in the body. Not only is it required for function, it’s also essential to help regulate the levels of other vitamins and minerals in the body.
A lack of magnesium in the diet and also diseases such as kidney disease, diabetes, pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism, gastrointestinal conditions and using diuretics can all be causes. While uncommon, even in people who don’t eat a lot of magnesium rich foods, deficiencies do occur, and there are certain symptoms that can be characteristic of a shortness of this mineral. Magnesium deficiency symptoms may vary from person to person, but typically, a lack of or absence of this nutrient can lead to the items we’ve compiled on our list of the top 10 magnesium deficiency symptoms.
1. Restless Leg Syndrome: There are many ailments that can cause your legs to constantly want to run away with you, but it’s also a symptom of not having enough magnesium. Legs that want to constantly be in motion, even while resting, can provide a clue to your lack of vital nutrients.
2. Irritability: General irritability can be caused by stress or illness, but anxiety and agitation are also magnesium deficiency symptoms. Without other complimentary signs, this may be a hard one to pick out on its own, however.
3. Abnormal Heart Rhythms: Tachycardia, a rapid heartbeat, and other anomalies concerning the natural rhythm of your blood transporting organ have been associated with low magnesium. Sometimes magnesium supplements are employed in these cases when the cause can be identified.
4. Hyperventilation: Rapid, short and often labored breathing, that sensation that keeps the brown paper bag industry in business, has been associated with magnesium deficiency symptoms.
5. Insomnia: There are a lot of ailments that can make getting a good night’s sleep nearly impossible, and an imbalance of essentials is one of them. Not having you body’s required levels of magnesium can lead to a lot of tossing and turning and not a lot of sleeping.
6. Nausea and Vomiting: Bad take out or magnesium deficiency symptoms? It might be hard to tell however gastrointestinal upset has been associated with a lack of your body’s enzyme activator. Additionally, illnesses that cause nausea and vomiting, such as a virus, can also be responsible for the deficiency in the first place, although temporary in nature.
7. Confusion: Feeling confused, when you normally wouldn’t, can be a symptom of all sorts of conditions, however it also presents in cases of magnesium deficiency. General brain fog, forgetfulness and other brain blunders can clearly point out that something is wrong.
8. Muscle Spasms: Displaying similar properties to calcium deficiency symptoms, weakness and cramping as well as spasms in the muscles is a very telling symptom of a lack of this essential mineral. In fact, magnesium deficiency muscle cramps are one of the most telling signs that your body is undersupplied. The cramps can be painful and debilitating, thankfully, this is typically only a temporary symptom.
9. Low Blood Pressure: Blood pressure varies according to activity level, diet and overall health. Normally, a blood pressure that is below normal is perfectly fine, however those reduced pressure numbers could also be magnesium deficiency symptoms.
10. Poor nail growth: Sometimes, the body helps us out by producing visible signs of illness or sickness, and nails are one arena for display. Changes in the nails such as an inability to grow them can be a very telling symptom.