Top 10 Home Remedies for Migraine Headaches
1. Ice – One of the oldest home remedies for migraine headaches is an ice pack or frozen compress. This can be placed on the back of your neck or on your forehead, and you may get instant relief.
2. Coffee – For fast migraine headache relief try drinking two or three cups of strong coffee at the first sign of a migraine. The caffeine causes the blood vessels to shrink, so there is less blood flow to cause a problem or throbbing in your brain.
3. Cinnamon – One of the older migraine headache cures is cinnamon. This fragrant spice is mixed with water and made into a paste, which is then rubbed on the forehead and back of the neck.
4. Feverfew – Feverfew is one of the herbal home remedies for migraine headaches, and this herb has been in use for centuries and is usually very safe and effective. Scientific studies have shown this herb can reduce the occurrence of migraines when taken daily.
5. Capsaicin – Capsaicin can work well at treating migraines, even an ocular migraine. There are ointments you can buy that are applied to the forehead and help relieve the pain of these headaches.
6. A Dark Quiet Room – Laying down in a room that is completely dark and extremely quiet may help ease the pain and other symptoms of a migraine. This can be done with a cool compress on your forehead for even better results.
7. Magnesium Supplements – Daily magnesium supplements are one of the top home remedies for migraine headaches. Magnesium has been shown to help relieve the symptoms and lessen the frequency of migraines.
8. Orange Juice – Orange juice, and other foods high in vitamin C can help with menstrual migraine headaches and some other types.
9. Henna – Henna flowers can be dipped in vinegar and then rubbed directly on your forehead. Many migraine sufferers have gotten quick relief using this home remedy, but it does not work well for everyone.
10. Niacin – Niacin is one of the most frequently used home remedies for migraine headaches. Niacin causes the blood vessels to shrink, and can stop migraine symptoms even after they have started.