Top 10 Health Benefits of Lemon
You may not even be worried about the health benefits of lemon, and simply enjoy it in your glass of water or as a foundation for fresh lemonade. You may appreciate its tangy flavor on various meats or find practical household uses for it such as cleaning counter tops, but there is a whole lot going on both inside and outside of the lemon, and the health benefits of lemon go very far beyond everyday culinary uses. In fact, the health benefits of lemon juice, peel and fruit have been known for centuries, and they’ve been used to treat ailments and cure diseases for many, many years. Full of body beneficial vitamins and minerals, you can feel good about the health benefits of lemon water the next time you sip on a glassful, and feel great about zesting this bright yellow citrus over your entrees to take advantage of lemon peel benefits.
1. Scurvy: The identifying characteristic of this pirate associated condition is a deficiency of vitamin C. It just so happens that lemon nutrition facts include an abundance of this important vitamin, which is why lemons were at one time fetching very high price tags. Their use in scurvy treatment made them a very valuable commodity, and their ability to restore the body’s vitamin C levels make one of the health benefits of lemon treating scurvy.
2. Aid in Digestion: Although not validated, it is thought that the body’s processing of foods and drink can be helped along by a little lemon. The mechanism of action may not necessarily be known, but it is thought that the digestive process can be supported by lemon.
3. Kidney Stones: A more frequent occurrence in men than in women, kidney stones can be a painful and unpleasant experience for anyone who has them. By increasing urination, one the health benefits of lemon is possibly helping people afflicted with kidney stones.
4. Tinnitus: There is likely little conclusive evidence to be found about one of the purported health benefits of lemon oil, but it’s thought that aromatherapy that utilizes the oil from this citrus fruit can quell the symptoms of ringing in the ears, or, tinnitus.
5. Meniere’s Disease: Some of the symptoms of this condition include dizziness and nausea, vomiting and hearing problems and it’s thought that eriodictyol glycoside, a chemical that is present in lemons, might help alleviate some of these symptoms.
6. Reducing Inflammation: You may not even be aware of the health benefits of lemon tea while you sit and enjoy it on your porch on a hot summer day, but one effect you might not be able to see but may appreciate is its ability to help stave off inflammation!
7. Natural Gargle: Given the antiseptic properties it possesses, it’s not a wonder that one of the health benefits of lemon is keeping your mouth fresh, clean and free of germs and bacteria. When used as a gargle it can help fight off nasties that are trying to invade your mouth!
8. Acne Fighter: Are you looking for a natural way to help clear up pimples? Well, then take a walk to your pantry! Lemon slices, when rubbed on inflamed and irritated skin and pimples can help to alleviate the discomfort and reduce the appearance of these unwanted skin dwellers. Lemons can also act like an exfoliant, helping to remove the outer layer of the skin and it’s contained dead skin cells.
9. Protect Against Cell Damage: The death of some types of cells has been linked to free radicals, and antioxidants are one of their biggest enemies, and guess what? One of the health benefits of lemon is a healthy dose of antioxidants, which can serve as defense against unruly free radicals.
10. Potentially reduce risk of heart disease: While the jury I still out, there are some that purport that heart disease risk can be reduced in people who use lemons regularly.