Top 10 Foods to Include in Low Blood Sugar Diet
1. Oatmeal – Oatmeal is one food that should be included in a low blood sugar diet. This food helps to keep blood sugar levels low even right after eating. Of course you cannot load your serving with ten teaspoons of sugar, or it is no longer a good choice.
2. Cinnamon – Cinnamon is one of the herbs that shows great promise in helping you keep normal blood sugar levels. A study done in Sweden showed that cinnamon can play a role in stabilizing blood sugar levels, and preventing any spikes from occurring.
3. Legumes – Legumes include beans, peas, and lentils, and they are an excellent addition to any type of diet. These foods are high in fiber and very low in sugars, while containing large amounts of various vitamins and minerals.
4. Barley – A low blood sugar diet should include barley whenever possible. This whole grain has been shown to keep blood sugar levels low for as long as twelve hours after the barley was consumed. It is also an excellent source of fiber and nutrition.
5. Nuts – Nuts can be a healthy snack, one that helps you reduce blood sugar levels for some time. Nuts have almost no sugar and are full of fiber, making them an ideal food for this purpose.
6. Low Fat Dairy Products – Low fat dairy products can be included in a low blood sugar diet in moderation, because they are low in fat and do not contain too much sugar. Dairy can also provide calcium, vitamin D, and other nutrients.
7. Vegetables – Vegetables should play a large role in a low blood sugar diet. Vegetables are rich in nutrients, antioxidants, and fiber, and they can be delicious as well. Vegetables will also help you fill up without a lot of calories.
8. Salmon and Tuna – Salmon, tuna, and other fish rich in Omega 3 fatty acids can help treat high blood sugar symptoms in some cases, and should be included in every diet. If the symptoms become severe though, medical treatment should be sought.
9. Rye – Rye can be one of the top home remedies for high blood sugar, because this grain lowers the levels for many hours after eating and does not cause any spikes.
10. Fruits – Any low blood sugar diet should include fruits, because of the nutrients and fiber contained, but some fruits may be better than others in terms of controlling blood sugar.