Top 10 Foods in a Diet for Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism is a condition when a person’s thyroid gland is producing too much hormone thyroxine. People with overactive thyroid very often experience sudden thyroid weight loss, nervousness, become very irritable and fidgety, suffer from extreme heat sensitivity and sleep problems. People with underactive thyroid will develop almost opposite symptoms characterized by tiredness, thyroid weight gain, sluggishness and constipation.
While some experts believe that diet for hyperthyroidism can not help your overactive thyroid condition without additional medicated approach, others, more naturally oriented health practitioners, see a strong correlation between hyper thyroid symptoms and diet for hyperthyroidism.
Let’s review some of the foods that can help you gain control of your overactive thyroid:
1. Omega 3 fatty acids are important for normal function of the thyroid gland and therefore should be included in the diet for hyperthyroidism. Flaxseed oil and ground flaxseeds are ideal sources for these essential fatty acids.
2. Green leafy vegetables like mustard greens, spinach and kale are believed to depress the function of your thyroid and should be plentiful in your diet. Avoid these vegetables if you are suffering from hypothyroidism symptoms.
3. Members from the cruciferous vegetable family like cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli will also help control your hyper thyroid symptoms by reducing hormone production. On the other hand try limiting these veggies in your diet if you are experiencing underactive thyroid symptoms.
4. Some root vegetables like rutabagas and turnips contain substances called thioglucosides that inhibit the absorption of iodine and help people with overactive thyroid.
5. Soybeans and soy products are also believed to help a diet for hyperthyroidism to control an over-stimulated thyroid.
6. Calcium and magnesium only working together in a ratio of 3:1 are an incredible way to boost your diet for hyperthyroidism. Most foods contain too much added calcium requiring magnesium for proper metabolism that ends up being taken from our body’s essential magnesium deposits ridding us of important nutrients.
7. Thyroid weight loss is one of hyper thyroid symptoms and is associated with significant muscle mass loss for people affected by this condition. High protein diet plan combined with moderate exercise is believed to assist in rebuilding muscle bulk lost due to hyperactive thyroid.
8. Antioxidant rich foods like berries, grapes, fresh fruits and vegetables should be abundantly included in your diet for hyperthyroidism that will offset the nutrient deficiencies caused by high metabolism.
9. Whole grains like millet, brown rice, and others combined with a variety of nuts and seeds are rich sources of zinc, an important element necessary for all of the body’s functions that might be depleted due to hyperthyroidism.
10. Dairy products are excellent sources of protein and fat and necessary components for diet for hyperthyroidism.