Buildup of plaque in arteries can happen over time without any symptoms until severe attacks occur but sometimes can show symptoms depending on the type of artery that is blocked. For example, a major blocked coronary artery symptom is angina (chest pain). This is a common symptom associated with heart attack.
Similarly, symptoms such as leg pain and foot infections can signify blocked artery in leg, especially if the symptoms occur in one leg. Plaque buildup in carotid arteries (situated on their side on the neck that brings blood to the face and brain) can cause arotid artery blockage leading to stroke or brain attack.
Surgical procedures for removing plaque in arteries can come with unpleasant side effects. Therefore, natural ways such as eating a heart healthy diet and exercising will help in removing plaque from arteries.
Here are the top 10 foods for removing plaque in arteries:
1. Avocados – Contain omega-3 fatty acids that are shown to reduce cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of heart diseases.
2. Walnuts – Rich in essential fats, vitamin E and other antioxidants.
3. Salmon – Fatty fish like salmon should be included in the diet for some good protein and fats.
4. Pumpkin seeds – Loaded with essential trace minerals and also a high source of protein and healthy fats.
5. Virgin coconut oil – Despite the fact that it contains saturated fat, most of its percentage is shown to reduce bad cholesterol in the body. The fats are also burned quickly for energy so they won’t be deposited.
6. Cod liver oil – Rich vitamins A and D and is shown to reduce cholesterol. Avoid it if you spend too much time in the sunlight or if you are pregnant.
7. Spinach – High in cholesterol reducing fiber, vitamins and minerals.
8. Organic whole eggs – The saturated fat in the yolk can actually reduce cholesterol, contrary to what most may have you believe.
9. Chili peppers – Increase your metabolism, burn fat and decrease blood pressure with chilies.
10. Green tea – Antioxidants in the tea can reduce inflammation causing free radicals that may be a reason behind the buildup plaque in arteries.