If you have been prescribed this blood thinner, you have to learn the Coumadin side effects. Although very beneficial, there are many reactions that can happen even to those that are in optimal health. Read these 10 Coumadin side effects so that you can know exactly what to expect.
1. Darkened stool – It may not be pleasant, but many users of this medication end up having darkened stools. You may need to go on Coumadin diet restrictions if this occurs to you.
2. Uncontrollable bleeding – This is the precise reason that Coumadin and alcohol should never be mixed. A very small cut can bleed for hours if you are not careful.
3. Dizziness and weakness – When taking these blood thinner Coumadin side effects related to loss of center of gravity, weak muscles and disorientation may occur. Try getting up from a sitting position slowly in order to combat this side effect.
4. Severe nausea – You may feel nauseous after a meal, or you may not feel like eating at all. Most users of this blood thinner find that this negative reaction subsides after a few weeks.
5. Trouble breathing – Similar to Warfarin side effects, Coumadin also causes upper respiratory issues. If you cannot catch your breath while on the medication, call your doctor at once.
6. Bloody vomit – This side effect is exceedingly rare, but also very serious. If you see blood in your vomit or you cough up blood phlegm you should visit an emergency room.
7. Sore throat – If you feel like you have had a cold for a very long time, it may just be some other coumadin side effects. You will feel like you constantly have a lump in your throat that cannot be swallowed.
8. Sore and bloody gums – Bleeding gums and teeth are also Amiodarone side effects. Do not panic and tell your doctor about your situation.
9. Abnormally long menstrual cycles – While this side effect will only be found in women that are of childbearing age, it can still be quite scary. Having a prolonged menstrual cycle can usually be treated with hormonal birth control.
10. Darkened urine – Along with black or very dark stool, Coumadin can make your urine extremely dark.