Top 10 Coumadin Side Effects
Coumadin (Warfarin) is one of the most commonly prescribed anticoagulants in the US intended to thin existing blood clots in heart disease patients and prevent the formation of new ones. Unfortunately, just like any pharmaceutical drugs Coumadin carries a list of side effects and may land you in a hospital bed due to accidental overdose, allergic reactions or underlying medical conditions.
If you have been prescribed this blood thinner, you have to learn the Coumadin side effects. Although very beneficial, there are many Coumadin side effects that can happen even to those that are in optimal health.
Read these 10 Coumadin side effects so that you can know exactly what to expect.
1. Uncontrollable bleeding – This is one of the most dangerous Coumadin side effects that can be fatal if not addressed as soon as possible. Since a body’s natural reaction to coagulate blood is affected by this drug, a very small cut can bleed for hours if you are not careful. This effect can be heightened by coumadin and alcohol consumption due to the alcohol’s natural blood thinning effect.
2. Bloody vomit – This side effect is exceedingly rare, but also very serious. If you see blood in your vomit or you cough up blood phlegm you should visit an emergency room.
3. Trouble breathing – Similar to Warfarin side effects, Coumadin also causes upper respiratory issues. If you cannot catch your breath while on the medication, call your doctor at once.
4. Abnormally long menstrual cycles – While this side effect will only be found in women that are of childbearing age, it can still be quite scary. Having a prolonged menstrual cycle can usually be treated with hormonal birth control.
5. Dizziness and weakness – When taking these blood thinner Coumadin side effects related to loss of center of gravity, weak muscles and disorientation may occur. Try getting up from a sitting position slowly in order to combat this side effect.
6. Severe nausea – You may feel nauseous after a meal, or you may not feel like eating at all. Most users of this blood thinner find that this negative reaction subsides after a few weeks.
7. Allergic Reaction – Hives, rashes, trouble breathing, tightening of the throat and dizziness could just be some other rare but possible Coumadin side effects. If you experience any of these, heading to the emergency room is a must to prevent a fatal anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction. This condition almost always requires emergency adrenaline and steroid injections to save a patient’s life.
8. Sore and bloody gums – Bleeding gums and teeth are also Amiodarone side effects. Do not panic and tell your doctor about your situation.
9. Darkened stool – It may not be pleasant, but many users of this medication end up having darkened stools. You may need to go on Coumadin diet restrictions if this occurs to you.
10. Darkened urine – Along with black or very dark stool, Coumadin can make your urine extremely dark.
While blood thinners could be lifesavers for many patients suffering from heart disease to prevent strokes and heart attacks, Coumadin side effects should be carefully monitored and reported to a health care provider.
Also watch this brilliant video where you will learn about Coumadin side effects in a form of funny song: