Top 10 Causes of Sore Wrist
You may not realize how often you use your wrist, or how much you do with this part of your body involved. Whether it’s buttoning a shirt, washing dishes, or writing your name, the wrist is part of every one of those actions. However, it may take a sore wrist before realizing the health importance of this joint and how debilitating it is when wrist injuries and other conditions are present.
The following are top 10 causes of a sore wrist:
1. An inflammation involving the tendon sheath will cause a condition called tendonitis which commonly causes swelling and pain of the wrist.
2. A condition called lateral epicondylitis, or tennis elbow, will cause forearm, hand, and sore wrist. This is another condition along the same lines as tendonitis, although it is often misdiagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome.
3. An injury involving the ligaments surrounding the wrist is called a sprain, another cause of a sore wrist which will limit the hand movement until healing takes place.
4. Although osteoarthritis is not as common in causing wrist problems, it is still possible for those who have sustained a wrist injury sometime in their past.
5. Another form of arthritis, called rheumatoid arthritis, is more common to involve the wrist than osteoarthritis. When suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, tissues are attacked by the body’s own immune system.
6. One of the main symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome is a painful wrist. This form of wrist pain causes more in-depth medical treatment which often leads to surgical procedures for wrist pain relief.
7. Cysts, or bumps, which can be seen on your wrist when stretching back the palm of your hand, are called ganglion cysts. Pain is not always present with ganglion cysts. However, the tinier cysts tend to often be the culprit of some pain.
8. A disorder of the wrist which is more typical in younger adults is called Kienbock’s disease. A smaller bone in the wrist will progressively collapses and in turn will be depleted of blood nourishment.
9. Improper form when working out at a gym, especially when lifting weights, will be a cause of wrist pain.
10. When there is pain and swelling of one or more joints, a condition known as gout may be present. This is counteracted by taking anti inflammatory medications.