Top 10 Bad Breath Causes
The 10 most common bad breath causes can all be cured, but you need to understand what is at the root of your halitosis in order to keep it from coming back. Bad breath is a disorder that is temporarily treatable with gum, mints or a thorough cleansing. However, diet, illness and even certain medications can make it difficult to stop bad breath altogether.
1. Unclean teeth, gums and tongue – This is by far the most common reason behind persistent bad breath.
2. Dehydration – If you don’t drink enough clear fluids on a regular basis, you can become dehydrated. A severely dry mouth is much more likely to exude unpleasant odors than a mouth that is constantly moisturized and healthy.
3. Prescription drug interactions – While prescription drugs are not normally listed as one of the top bad breath causes, patients have reported suffering from this disorder. Some medications combined with certain diets can lead to sharp and pungent oral odors.
4. Tooth decay – Even those that brush their teeth on a regular basis can have tooth decay. Bad breath is one of the first tooth decay symptoms, so visit your dentist for yearly cleanings.
5. Respiratory and digestive disorders – Heartburn, bronchitis and nasal infections all have one thing in common; they are some of the most overlooked bad breath causes.
6. Dirty dentures – While there are many products on the market specifically made to clean false teeth, many wearers are guilty of skipping cleanings between meals. The same goes for dental implants and veneers.
7. Gum disease – Unfortunately, bad breath is not commonly reported as one of the gum disease symptoms you can expect to experience. However, the gingivitis variety of gum disease is caused by bad bacteria. An imbalance of unhealthy bacteria in the mouth will ultimately lead to bad breath.
8. Tobacco products – It doesn’t matter if you smoke cigarettes or keep a wad of snuff behind your lower lip; using tobacco products of any kind is a major bad breath causes. Quitting smoking is one of the easiest bad breath remedies around.
9. Smelly foods – Onions, garlic and scallions are delicious, but they are best eaten in moderation if you are concerned about bad breath.
10. Oral yeast infections – An oral yeast infection is yet another one of those bad breath causes that gets regularly overlooked. Caused by candida, a yeast infection can develop in any orifice that is constantly moist, such as the mouth.