Top 10 Astragalus Health Benefits
Astragalus is a unique immunity boosting herb native to China and Mongolia. In Chinese medicine astragalus health benefits have been put to treat common colds and flu due to high content of active compounds like polysaccharides, saponins and flavonoids. To get a full spectrum of benefits, astragalus extract is manufactured using a whole plant including its roots.
Let’s take a look at top 10 astragalus health benefits and which health conditions it can help improve.
1. Digestive astragalus health benefits are demonstrated in lowering excessive acidity of the stomach, increasing body’s metabolic rates and promoting faster waste elimination pattern. This is incredibly beneficial for people suffering from stomach ulcers and acid indigestion.
2. Astragalus tea should be regularly consumed during common flu and cold seasons starting in early fall and through the winter. Astragalus health benefits help increase white blood cell count, stimulate growth of antibodies and elevate body’s resistance to bacteria and viruses.
3. Astragalus health benefits go beyond common ailments and can even enhance traditional chemotherapy treatments in cancer patients. Astragalus extract and tea taken throughout cancer treatment will help lessen the side effects from such treatments and boost patient’s immune system.
4. Astragalus root health benefits work to protect you from high blood pressure, arrhythmia and generally improve your cardiac function.
5. Astragalus extract helps you keep your cholesterol counts in check. Astragalus tea works by preventing fatty plaque deposits in arteries to allow blood to flow freely. In addition, astragalus prevents fats from being absorbed from the intestines and facilitates their accelerated evacuation from the body.
6. Astragalus was shown effective to treat various forms of anemia and improving hemopoietic (blood making) function.
7. Patients who have been diagnosed with HIV and AIDS could draw incredible benefits from using astragalus based medicine. Active compounds found in this herb could support patients’ immune systems and even be used in place of common HIV drugs. However, more research is still needed in this field.
8. Astragalus health benefits also encompass herpes simplex virus that is a culprit behind recurring oral herpes outbreaks. People affected by oral herpes notice fewer outbreaks while taking astragalus extract.
9. Astragalus is very often used in combination with other herbal supplements to treat chronic nephritis and various stages of renal failure. Patients treated with a combo of astragalus and rehmannia root showed improvement as to lower levels of protein and blood in urine.
10. Astragalus is a very important ingredient for managing diabetes in Chinese medicine. Not only this herb helps lowering blood sugar, it also prevents pathological changes in the retina, blood vessels, enhances liver and kidney function.
Astragalus side effects may manifest themselves by interacting with other medications or herbal preparations. Astragalus should not be ingested in you are currently taking corticosteroid or immune suppressing medications.