Top 10 Arguments Against Stem Cell Research
Embryonic stem cell research has been in the controversial focus for many years and has gathered a lot of opposition to stem cell research from the public and religious groups. Some believe that there’s a lot of potential in the embryonic stem cell research as only this cell has the flexibility for repairing damaged nerves, organs and tissues, and curing hundreds of deadly diseases. On the other hand, a lot of people defend their arguments against stem cell research and believe it’s highly unethical and even murderous to destroy a human embryo for a faint possibility of finding a cure or helping someone in need.
Here’s a listing of top 10 arguments against stem cell research:
1. Destruction of a human embryo, that has a potential to grow into a baby, is necessary to receive a portion of stem cells, which is inhumane in itself.
2. One of the other important arguments against stem cells research is that there has been virtually no real successful cure or even a potential for cure found to support destroying the beginning of life, there’s no evidence that a destroyed human embryo will help someone.
3. Stem cells for research can be successfully obtained from other sources like umbilical cord stem cells, amniotic fluid or adult stem cells.
4. Another important viewpoint of cons of stem cell research is that by allowing therapeutic cloning or genetic engineering of human organs, tissues or embryos we open up a door to research programs with devastating consequences.
5. Embryonic stem cell research is a costly and not ethical way to obtain scientific accomplishments; it takes away funding from more ethical and successful research programs.
6. Adult stem cells are far more effective in treating disease-affected tissue than embryonic cell, as the later have a possibility of being rejected by the body or later develop into a tumor mass.
7. Another strong set of arguments against stem cell research is that some believe that embryonic stem cell is not stable and might on a DNA level carry a possibility of genetic disorders in itself.
8. Stem cell therapy treatments have not been thoroughly studied and could result in evolvement of even more dangerous and deadly diseases still unknown to humanity.
9. Multiple animal studies in the stem cell therapy have proven to be ineffective and dangerous to justify the cost of a human embryo.
10. The final arguments against stem cell research deal with the actual cost of such treatments is simply too high to be implemented on a large scale.
Stem cell research pros and cons have gained a lot of attention lately due to President Obama lifting a ban on stem cell research.