Top 10 Accent Reduction Techniques
There may be a number of reasons for seeking accent reduction methods. Some of these techniques are similar to that of the pediatric clients where early intervention speech therapy for articulation, tongue thrust, or phonological disorder are among the reasons for therapy. For some, accent reduction methods will serve as a positive purpose toward any career. With the current unemployment rate, heavily accented individuals will take measures to sound as professional as possible. Accent reduction may be the very solution which will raise the bar of job competitiveness for such individuals.
Here are 10 of the top accent reduction techniques:
1. The first technique beneficial for accent reduction is to be observant of any speaker whether that person is speaking directly to you, viewed from a favorite television show, or publicly speaking to an audience.
2. Be observant of your own way of speaking by talking in front of a mirror. Note the position of the tongue, lips, and also your teeth.
4. Although the average dictionary may be helpful to learn phonetic symbols for proper articulation, various dictionary websites have audio capabilities allowing you to hear words as many times necessary.
5. Set aside a designated time to read aloud every day, even if for only 10 minutes at a time. Be sure to completely verbalize each letter sound from the beginning to the end. This will enhance the strength of muscles used to speak.
6. If there are words which seem to be more troubling to verbalize, keep a list of those words to review with a native speaking friend.
7. If possible, record yourself and play back your verbalization as often as possible. By hearing your own words, you will know what areas need further attention.
8. Another way to exercise those mouth muscles is to play tongue twisting games or reciting poetry. Websites for either can easily be found.
9. Begin a speech journal to record your daily progress. Jot down your trouble spots which need more attention. Focusing on those areas is essential for accent reduction.
10. Purchase a book in audio and paper form. Read aloud with the audio narrator and mimic his or her speech patterns.