7 Most Common Causes of Itchy Bumps On Legs and Feet
Can’t stop scratching and don’t know why? Itchy bumps on legs and feet can be caused by many things ranging from reaction to your new lotion, medications, bug bites, contact with poison ivy and a plethora of other causes according to Mayo Clinic. You’ll find seven of the most common causes of itchy bumps on legs below.
1. Insect bites: The most prolific of all life on earth, insects are found virtually everywhere. For the ground dwellers, the easiest access to you is via your feet and legs. Mosquito, fire ant bites and any other nibble from a tiny critter can cause not only one itchy lump, but can trigger you to have itchy skin all over depending on which insect used your legs and feet for a buffet. Dr. Mercola, one of the leading alternative health specialists in the US, recommends you avoid using insect repellent products with DEET that can potentially wreak havoc with your health and cause additional itchy bumps on legs. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/22/how-to-avoid-becoming-a-bug-buffet-this-summer.aspx Instead, use essential oil based bug sprays containing cinnamon, peppermint and lemongrass oils in their formulas.
2. Allergies: Contact dermatitis caused from contact with allergens can also create itchy bumps on legs and feet. Allergic to your mom’s new laundry detergent? You’re going to have the itchies after putting that sock on. Consider examining what products you are putting on or near your skin which can potentially trigger such a reaction.
3. Hives: Caused by a host of allergic reactions and health conditions, hives can spring up anywhere. While you usually first notice their appearance on your face, they can show up all over the body.
4. Heat Rash: That’s right, self explanatory. Go out in the heat, get a rash. Well not all the time and not every time but excessive heat can cause red itchy bumps on skin surfaces making you run for the air conditioner.
5. Shaving: Shaving is a very common culprit behind itchy bumps on legs and thighs that can cause discomfort. Blades cause micro cuts surrounding hair follicles leading to their inflammation and ingrown hair. Perfumed shaving creams or lotions that are applied to freshly shaven skin could cause additional irritation. Discovery Fit and Health explains how to avoid itchy bumps on legs by using sharp, clean razors and applying mild astringent to disinfect skin afterwards in avoidance of the problem. http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/men/shaving-tips/how-to-prevent-shaving-rash.htm
6. Bacterial Skin Infections: There are a plethora of skin infections that manifest themselves in appearance of bumps on legs and feet. A condition called folliculitis causes infection of hair follicles and could appear after a visit to a hot tub, waxing salon or gettin a minor skin cut. If left untreated it can lead to a larger furuncle and abscess requiring drainage by a doctor and even a course of antibiotics in severe cases. http://dermatology.about.com/od/infectionbacteria/tp/bacterial_infections.htm
7. Anxiety: Generalized anxiety can manifest itself in the form of itchy bumps on skin. Anxiety can even turn into hives if you worry yourself enough, so mellow out, and take a deep breath.
While the list of causes of itchy bumps on legs and feet contain many common causes, less common causes such as drug interactions, skin diseases and autoimmune disorders may also cause similar symptoms. Therefore it is very important that if you have no idea what is causing your condition or think your condition is serious that you see a medical care provider right away.