5 Best Home Remedies For Diarrhea in Kids and Adults
Treating green stools in adults and children along with diarrhea can be simply and easy if you have the right tools. Doctors generally advise those suffering from loose stools to take it easy until they completely regain their strength, but there are also other foods and beverages that can be consumed to help speed up the healing process. Here are five of the most effective home remedies for diarrhea.
1. Drink water and clear broths – When a person has a case of watery diarrhea, the best medicine is plain old water. In addition, you can drink the broth of clear soups and certain fruit juices to help provide your body with the nutrition that it needs.
2. Ginger tea – Boiling a small piece of ginger in a pot of water will help settle the stomach quickly and efficiently. Although ginger doesn’t work to re-hydrate the body, it can get your digestive system to work normally again.
3. Eat a fiber rich diet – Bland foods like crackers, low-sugar cookies and breads are the key to a good diarrhea diet. Your body will also be less likely to reject these fiber based foods.
4. Sports drinks, Pedialyte and Pedisure – Keeping your body full of electrolytes will help to re-solidify loose stools in a jiffy. This is the key to treating diarrhea in babies.
5. Stay in bed – Most home remedies for diarrhea center around what should and should not be consumed. However, overexerting yourself can be just as detrimental when you are trying to get over a bout of runny stools. Rest in bed, lay on the couch and keep your physical activities to a minimum until you are sure that you are better.
You can use several of these home remedies for diarrhea to help get over your illness faster all at once, or you can elect to just try one at a time. Certain over the counter medications for upset stomach can also be effective. Whatever you do, avoid eating regular foods, drinking sodas, strenuous physical exercise and unnecessary mental stress until you return to having normal, regular bowel movements.